Thursday, November 22, 2007
Well, I'm also going to grade papers because I would be most thankful to be done with them, but I digress.
It's a long list, but as I watch Thing 4 clear some of last night's tea cups out of the living room oh so carefully, one blessing comes clearly to mind.
The drive up was worse yesterday than in earlier years because we left later and hit both rush hour and holiday traffic. We were well and truly crawling along when from the back of the van I heard those words: "I really have to pee!" An older child might have gotten the You Should Go When You Have A Chance lecture, but the two year old just gets "Hang on, honey, we're looking for a potty!"
There was an exit directly ahead of us, and I just had to change lanes and skim along the shoulder for a little bit, not actually reaching warp speed before landing at the intersection and turning right into the nearest gas station. As I jumped out of the driver's side to run around and free her, right behind me sat a motorcycle officer, lights flashing.
I said, "I'm so sorry, officer, I must have done something wrong, but I have a two year old that has to go potty!'
He said, "Well, do what you have to do," and I grabbed her and ran to the bathroom, leaving him sitting there.
The whole time I was holding and wiping and telling her what a big, wonderful girl she was for holding it -- I do love me a potty-trained child -- I was worrying. My driving record was so far free of moving violations. How was I going to face this cop while holding my (evertalking) child?
All done, we left the bathroom to face the music.
And he was gone.
My spouse hadn't talked to him. My father in law had no idea where he'd gone. The kids hadn't seen anything. This isn't one of those spooky stories where a cop was killed there in previous years. I suppose either he'd gotten a higher-priority call, or decided that my hurry which had propelled us through a red right hand turn light was, in fact, legitimate -- maybe he has a toddler? -- or something.
Anyhow, there is gratitude for the missed bad things as well as those blessings which we have received.
Tuesday, November 20, 2007
Meanwhile, I'm going to spend my holiday finishing (hahaha) The Pearl Buck Swing Jacket and maybe knitting up something for Thing 3. He's the one most sweaterless and I scored some Debbie Bliss Cashmerino for his sensitive skin. Oh, and grading papers. Lots and lots of papers. Hooray for employment!
If you're celebrating, have a great holiday.
Thursday, November 15, 2007
1. Name one person who made you laugh last night? The almost-teen in the house. I was debating with spouse whether or not my new crank sock machine was a replica of an antique or a new machine -- we know it's newly made, but the design hasn't changed in 100 years -- and I said, "It's not an antique. . . " and the kid said, "Just works like one?" I had been swearing at it just moments before.
2. What were you doing at 0800? putting the makings of breakfast burritos on the table and yelling upstairs, "Breakfast is ready! You asked for these; come and eat them!"
3. What were you doing 30 minutes ago? Posting answers to my online students' discussions.
4. What happened to you in 2006? I designed and knit a cabled sweater for Thing 1, the baby started walking and talking, and just plain old daily life happened -- a lot!
6. How many beverages did you have today? A cup of Earl Grey tea.
7. What color is your hairbrush? If I can find one, purple.
8. What was the last thing you paid for? Food -- the biggest grocery shopping trip in recent memory.
9. Where were you last night? At home, working, working on the cranky sock machine and putting kids to bed.
10. What color is your front door? Peely brown stain and glass. It's an old double door.
11. Where do you keep your change? In an envelope marked "Mama's stash money." I'm saving for a fiber festival.
12. What’s the weather like today? high 60's and sunny.
13. What’s the best ice-cream flavor? Coffee Heath Bar Crunch. I just wish they'd use coffee-er ice cream and more chunks.
14. What excites you? Fiber fiber fiber. Gardening. My kids. Going somewhere with just my sister. Being read to at night.
15. Do you want to cut your hair? No. I want it to grow much longer.
16. Are you over the age of 25? Snort.
17. Do you talk a lot? Probably.
18. Do you watch the O.C.? No. Pretty much don't watch anything.
19. Do you know anyone named Steven? I have a half brother and a cousin with that name.
20. Do you make up your own words? I use the ones the kids do mostly.
21. Are you a jealous person? I try not to be. I have many other besetting sins.
22. Name a friend whose name starts with the letter ‘A’. Anita.
23. Name a friend whose name starts with the letter ‘K’. Katherine.
24. Who’s the first person on your received call list? Eric.
25. What does the last text message you received say? The only entity who texts me is my phone company. See item #16 for an explanation of this phenomenon.
26. Do you chew on your straw? No.
27. Do you have curly hair? Although it's been curlier, my mental picture of me is very curly.
28. Where’s the next place you’re going to? After the kitchen, to make the offering for the potluck, probably IKEA for cheap ice cream dishes for one of the parties.
29. Who’s the rudest person in your life? Any one of my kids, in varying turns. My nephews are right up there, too.
30. What was the last thing you ate? One of those breakfast burritos.
31. Will you get married in the future? Um, if I'm widowed? Right now I think once is enough.
32. What’s the best movie you’ve seen in the past 2 weeks? I've been watching the Hornblower series but don't remember going out to the movies.
33. Is there anyone you like right now? Like? Like-like? Well, yeah, you don't get four kids and a daily shower pal without it.
34. When was the last time you did the dishes? Last night. I even washed mixing bowls and a pot.
35. Are you currently depressed? No, although I have a friend who often tells me I am. I believe it's because that person can't believe I'd actually choose this life.
36. Did you cry today? No. I don't think it's in my plans for today.
37. Why did you answer and post this? I'm feeling guilty for not blogging.
38. Tag 5 people who would do this survey. Since only 5 people currently read my blog, consider yourself tagged if you did.As a reward for making it to the bottom, here's the lively bunch on a recent hike: