Tuesday, March 18, 2008

On to the next one


Finally, finally, finally, the very soft sweater is done. See how happy he looks?
Depending on his mood, he either hates it or won't let his sister wear it even though she likes it more. Says it's too big; says it's perfect.

Whatever.

I'm pleased with it. But right now I'm wondering if I'm more pleased just because I'm done than because of anything inherent in the sweater. Doing the sleeves at the beginning of the process, right after dividing the armholes, seems to have been a good choice. Making the hood (3 times!) was actually just as bad as sleeves, and then I had to go 'round and 'round about the edging before I was satisfied.

All in all, I like the seat of the pants approach to most things, and I like it in knitting. Frustratingly, I wish I were a more talented knitter so that things were both faster and more interesting in the execution. Someday, and for now my kid has a warm sweater and hey, it's spring and too hot to wear it!

Fortunately I have a big wool sweater to begin for my sister. Maybe by the time I'm done with that it will be above 90 degrees. I can only hope.

10 comments:

Charity said...

Woo Hoo! It looks great - I love the feeling of a finished anything, but a finished sweater is a Big Deal! :0) Well done, you.

Katherine said...

What a sweet face, even if it is grumpy! Lovely sweater too; I think those colors together are great. Quite an accomplishment, I think, to pull a hood out of the air like that.

suzee said...

He is SUCH a beautiful boy, it's hard to see the sweater. But I have no doubt it is a thing of stunning attractiveness, edges, hood, sleeves and all.

Morenna said...

The sweater looks great! Sounds like he likes it too, even if he doesn't want to admit it to MOM. :-)

Ya did good!

amanda j said...

He looks so cute! What a gorgeous sweater!

Rain said...

Ha ha, I bet he loves it really, but is just too cool to say so. I think it's fantastic.

allisonmariecat said...

I think it looks great, even on the grump!

See, that's why I don't knit things with hoods. I have no doubt that I would also have to knit it several times.

Yay, I'm not the only one who fails to knit with the seasons! I am making myself a wool sweater that will not only be too hot to wear for 8 months or so, but I have a sinking feeling will be too small for me!

Yarn It said...

The sweater looks great! Kids are funny when it comes to hand knits. I have experienced the same things with my little girls. My older kids are better now. You did a great job!

Tamami said...

Hi! For the indigo seeds, send me your address to tamami at autodesk dot com. Just sow it as you would any annuals, and I think sunny location is preferred. When it grows, you can crush up the leaves in the blender and dye fiber with it, and supposed to come out pretty sky blue -- I've never done it but I've seen many reports on Japanese blogs.

Kate said...

We've had the precise same reactions to sweaters in my house; the brother is hesitant, but not so hesitant as to be willing to donate the garment to the enamored sister. Good times.

It's lovely. Congratulations on being done!