I just changed things around on the settings. Denise and I were talking about keeping track of totals, and she said that it made sense to divide our totals between fall and spring, since that's how we conceptualize our growing seasons. Spring/summer, fall/winter.
I didn't total everything from the spring -- there are still some winter squash and apples out front, and I haven't weighed the final tomatoes I plucked off the vines when I pulled them, but it's close enough for a first year.
384 pounds, pretty much. (This post also gave me a chance to catch up with the totals on the kitchen calendar. We are nothing if not high tech here.) That included a bit over 128 pounds of honey and some foraged apples, but not the blackberries we picked for free, nor the eggs -- they got a separate count. It will be interesting to see how the new square footage stacks up. That poundage came from roughly 188 sq feet under cultivation, plus the front yard (and beehives, and city parks, and neighbor's trees. . .). And personally, I'm not thrilled with that harvest. Between rotten soil and poor watering, I guess I'm lucky I got anything! And thank you again, bees. Thank you very much!
Here's to a prosperous and productive season this winter. I'm already able to give fresh food away. Three pounds of Siberian Kale is coming with me to homeschool park day. I've got a lot in the freezer and it's a year-round vegetable, really. Being able to share makes me feel like a rich philanthropist!
1 hour ago