Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Dispatch from the fallen behinds

I could post a few pictures of what's going on here, but I'd have to take them first. I did shoot a nice little video but can't quite figure out how to post it -- can't let EG have all the fun, right?

Anyhow, over the past three or four days, I've been late to or missed four appointments, still haven't gotten the house clean or my laundry put away, fallen down on both homeschooling and stretching my muscles, and generally feel as though I'm coming down with a cold.

With the help of a fellow beekeeper and the generous loan of a good strainer from another beekeeper, the honey boxes are off the hives. Last night I extracted four boxes, filling a five gallon bucket, and today put those four boxes back on the hives for cleaning. That's a real accomplishment.

Or it would feel more like one if there weren't about five more boxes to be extracted (and rotated through the hives, and covered with plastic and dry ice for storage) waiting down there. And if that basement room wasn't needed tomorrow morning for parents of the book club kids to sit in during book club. And if I were ready to lead book club.

I do have fun news, but I'm going to save it because we have visitors coming. Maybe by the time they get here I'll have painted the dining room trim and moved the cleared vegetation out of the back yard into the green bin for the city.

And maybe not.

8 comments:

Heiko said...

Welcome home Stephanie! Good luck (& strength) for the chores

Erin said...

Take care of yourself and have a nice time with your visitors!

Jeff Vandiver said...

Oh, I can't wait for the video! 5 gallons of honey is alot....wow!

kitsapFG said...

If you have five gallons from the one hive and have several more to go - you must end up swimming in honey! Do you sell it?

Deep breath, one bite at the apple at a time and it eventually get's eaten. Sometimes just "doing" and not focusing on what else needs to be done is the best option. The enormity of things to take care of can be overwhelming, and yet when we just steadily work along - it manages to get done eventually.

Stefaneener said...

Heiko, thanks much -- it's like a jungle here!

Erin, that's very sweet of you.

EG, 5 is only the first part. There's more in them there hives. It was a Very Good Summer for the bees.

kitsapFG, I do sell it. From the front door, primarily. I prefer that to wholesale. Better prices, as well as the chance to talk face to face with people. A friend with a great location is having a garage sale coming up, and I'll possibly sell there -- if I can get jars! Apparently there's a run on them.

It would be easier to believe that slow and steady would get it done if there weren't a lot of other people generating "stuff to do!" Time passes, no matter what, though.

Kristin said...

Congrats on all that honey! You are successful at all that you do. Clean up time will always be there--and there is more interesting stuff to focus on.

Lifestyle Lift Journey said...

I found your blog through EG's. Things to do just keep coming one after the another, I know that feeling. I'd love to see your honey harvesting video, but there is no rush. The important thing is you enjoy what you do. Videos won't go away. Take care :)

meemsnyc said...

A 5 gallon bucket of honey! Wow, excellent!