Monday, March 20, 2006

Fitting end to Winter

Well, it's lunchtime and I've been awake for eight hours already. Thing 3 is having the kind of stomach disturbances that non-parents don't even want to hear about, and parents don't want to recall. Big sister walked with the dog to the local minimart to buy some soda pop for him, and he's sleeping on either the floor of the bathroom or my bed, depending on what feels best.

Thing 4 just dialed 911 (emergency, for those of you not familiar with the U.S. system) for the second time. For the record, it's not on speed dial. She dials the three digits somehow. Now all of the children have done that, at least once -- most more than once. It's protocol in our town for a cruiser to be dispatched so I can show myself and the children and prove that we weren't forced to hang up by some crazed person. Pity the officers; it's raining very hard.

No pictures of the Green Meanie today. I'm two rows away from the neck shaping on the back, and I've just noticed one of those subtle cable errors that makes me stone crazy. The intended recipient said it didn't bother her, but the more I looked at it, the more I could hear it muttering at me, so out it goes. I may redo the other cable, the one that has a one row error in it, just to make myself feel better.

Next time, sleeves, I promise. Now the police are here. Gotta go!

7 comments:

String Bean said...

What lovely children. I'm sure you're a favorite at the precinct.

Thing 3 is not alone. I wish I had some ginger ale right now, but as most of the stores are closed at 1 am, I think I'll have to suffer without.

It doesn't matter if mistakes don't bother her. You're knitting it! Mistakes are enough to drive one completely crazy! Then your kids will have reason to dial 911.

aurora said...

Oh no! Over here, you get a fine if you dial the emergency number and it isn't an emergency! I hope it isn't the same where you are!

Poor Thing 3. I hope he feels better soon.

You're amazing with the perfection. I am debating whether to pull out some lace...but I know I won't...

bfmomma said...

Oh, no! Not sleeping on the bathroom floor... Poor sweetie!

And I've heard that it doesn't have to be "9-1-1" to alert emergency. Any series of 3 numbers, supposedly??? So far I've been lucky with my things!

I hope today's going better and thing 3 kept his bugs to himself.

Rain said...

Aw, hope Thing 3 feels better soon.

Our emergency number is 999. I think most people with small kids get a knock on the door from the police at some stage.

Sound like you're getting there with the sweater. Hope those cables aren't shouting too loudly at you.

Brittany said...

The emergency number in Hong Kong is 999 too. Remnant of the British Empire I suppose. My sister used to like to play with the phone when she was a baby and she's dialed that a couple of times. She'd get mad if you held the hanger upper down, so we didn't because she had to get lucky to dial out - all number started with 2's at that point in time. We learned to disconnect the phone pretty fast. :P

I want to see the perfect perfect sweater! I would do the exact same as you - there is no way I could let a mistake lie.

Me said...

oh oh: 911. Over here it's 17 or 18 or 15: short numbers and quite some options, I bet my ds will manage one day!

One very nosy question: how on earth do you manage to do super complicated sweaters and read at the same time? (plus manage to keep numers 1 through 4 happy enough to not bother you?)

sewingsuzee said...

You know, if your knitting isn't pretty enough to post, your words always are.

Write and tell us what's happening. Did the police come take you all away after T4 dialed 911111111111111?