Monday, July 20, 2009

Whoops

Last week, I tried to start seeding my winter garden. Since I scored some plastic mini-blinds on Freecycle, my new ideas about recordkeeping were easy to implement. With a few simple codes, I have variety, date seeded, number of seeds planted, number germinated, date germinated, and date transplanted all easy to see and keep track of. After that, the idea is that each plant would get its own tag, either ground-planted or tied on. Besides needing a thin-tipped Sharpie, it worked okay.


Unfortunately, I didn't get my entire act together. My seed-starting light setup has a short somewhere and if I forget and go down barefoot and touch it, I get a nasty shock. I dismantled it and began to look for the problem, but didn't get it found and the lights reassembled.

No problem, I thought, I have time.

Except, I didn't.


I now have a flat of salad sprouts, I guess. That new fancy potting soil and good seeds did the magic faster than I expected. Time to redo!

On the upside, those bricks in the background are half of our patio. I'm hunting for a source of free bricks to finish, too. I'm sure they'll sprout up in time.

Oh -- does anyone know how Denise and I can put an author line under the title of each post, so it's easy (without identifying the author style) to see who's writing what?

3 comments:

Heather said...

Good luck starting the seeds! Oh how I wish I could grow a winter garden. Can't wait to see how it comes along.

Stefaneener said...

Heather, can't you go all Eliot Coleman and do a winter garden? don't know -- hoop houses or something? But you actually have winter.

Kristin said...

I know it's not funny, but I chuckled at the thought of the shock. Gosh darn it--no matter what, nothing, not a thing is easy. I sure enjoy reading how you keep at it though.