Monday, July 27, 2009

Yippee!

I went to change the chicks' water on Saturday, and something in the corner caught my eye. "What's that?" I wondered, "a rock?"


I checked it out and let out a whoop that caused my neighbor to call over the fence, "What's going on over there?" I told her we had our first egg and she said, "Congratulations, you're a grandmother!"

Well, maybe not, but I appreciated her enthusiasm.

You know, we got chickens mostly for the eggs, and yet my surprise at finding that first one was almost perfect. One small little miracle, right there in the dirt.

Time to get on the nesting boxes.

Kevin has yet to post about the gorgeous coop he built, but he will. It's finished now.


Which reminds me, Stefani and I are hosting a backyard chicken workshop on Saturday, August 8, noon--2, at our place in Berkeley. We're planning to share with folks everything they need to know to get started with their own chicks---like, hey, expect eggs! There's a $20/per family suggested donation, and no one will be turned away for lack of funds. We'd love to see some of you there!

9 comments:

Toni said...

Oh darn.... wish I could be there! Have a fun time!

For those of us who can't attend... would love to read your blog post on that topic!

Toni said...

Forgot to congratulate you on your very first egg! YEAH!!!!

I was at the post office on Saturday (we don't have mail delivery in our little town) and there was such a racket going on! A box of chicks had arrived!

I got to take a look... awwww... so cute!

Margaret said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Margaret said...

Sorry I mispelled a word so I cancelled out the comment..let's try this again.

Isn't it wonderful? We got chickens about two months ago and I really love having them around. But I'm turning into a mother hen..always making sure the girls are fine..

Dan said...

Congrats on the egg! I would love to have a couple chicks but it is illegal in my city. Maybe it will change soon, there has been a good amount of talk about chickens on the news lately. Your coop looks great by the way. So being in Berkly do you grow any Wild Boar Farm tomatoes? I am trying pink berkley tie dye and beauty king from them this year.

kitsapFG said...

Super surprise! Congratulations.

The coop is gorgeous. Great craftsmanship.

Kristin said...

It might be too late...they develop a preference for where they like to lay their eggs and you have to train them to use your nesting boxes. Grab each one and put it in the box on top of a boiled egg or a golf ball and "cluck cluck cluck" like a chicken and tell them this is where they are to lay their eggs--it may or may not work. Our eldest built beautiful boxes for them and they never used them. Other birds were trainable. Good Luck and congratulations on your first egg! It's a big deal.

Ktrion said...

I'm sure they'll be fine with a nesting box. Just put lots of bedding inside: they'll know what it's for.

Denise said...

Thanks for the congratulations, Toni---those eggs are pretty darn thrilling.
Margaret, I have to admit I haven't been struck by the mother hen thing, though I tease Stefani that our same-age chicks are bigger than hers because of all the individual love and attention they're getting ... from all my boys.
Dan, I don't grow Wild Boar toms. How are yours doing?
kitsapFG, thanks! Kevin's a builder by trade so these chicks definitely have a mansion of a chicken coop. We've joked about charging rent.
Kristin, no takers yet on your egg-encouragement suggestion. Want to come over and have a talk with our girls? : )
Ktrion, I'm with you---I figure they'll get it. Happily, so far, they have, laying eggs in, or at least near, the box. So cool.