Thursday, March 15, 2012

Once more, with pictures

What they looked like and why I thought they should be transplanted. (See how weirdly sunny it was? Like a Hollywood "spring day" cliche.)


They look sort of small in those big gallon/half gallon pots.


The roots did air prune, just like they were supposed to. I think the mold is a bonus effect.


All lined up. San Marzano in the big pots, Roma in the yogurt containers. Extra ones got jammed in "community pots" when I ran out of individuals.


And then it was time to start all over again, with peppers.


These took a few more tries to get the appropriate ice creamy shapes.


And then I found the sunniest spot of the day to put them. I hoped that putting them on a board would prevent hitchikers from wiggling in the drainage holes.


Turns out they don't fit all that well under the lights, and today I put them out to spend some happy time in the rain. It's going to be in the high 40s tonight, but I'm tempted to leave them out there because, first off, it's dark already, and secondly, they're heavy from being rained on. We'll see if Lazy Gardener Ethics kill all that hard work.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

We are whaf, 75 miles apart? You get rain, I have to spit. You get sun, I get clouds (still dry). And you have tomato plants and I haven't even opened the seed packets yet. Well, ok, that's one of the things I love about this part of the world, you just have to go a few miles to find a different micro-climate, a different view, a different....

Lou Murray's Green World said...

You're going to have a great tomato crop. Sprouting my tomato seeds-- one more thing I didn't get done. I'll be buying my plants again this year I'm afraid. Kudos to you for sprouting your own.

Stefaneener said...

Michelle, I always think of us as having the same weather, because we grow many of the same crops. I guess not. Heck, all I have to do is go across the bay to find microclimates very different from mine. My town was a market garden for the foggier areas years ago.

Lou -- last year I didn't get around to it and I'm going to end up buying some peppers this year again. We do what we can.

Stefaneener said...

Michelle, I always think of us as having the same weather, because we grow many of the same crops. I guess not. Heck, all I have to do is go across the bay to find microclimates very different from mine. My town was a market garden for the foggier areas years ago.

Lou -- last year I didn't get around to it and I'm going to end up buying some peppers this year again. We do what we can.

kitsapFG said...

I just potted up a bunch of tomatoes yesterday too. I have a bunch of them that were from the earliest started batch that are spending days outside in the unheated greenhouse and are being carted inside at night. As soon as the potted up plants stabilize from the transplanting shock, I will be doing the same thing with most of them - as I need room under my grow lights and most of them are getting too big to fit under the lights anyways!