Monday, December 1, 2008

garden round up

When I was outside this morning, I noticed that the chickens had done some serious nibbling when they got out. Apparently the absence of turkeys (the back yard is blessedly quiet and less stinky without the big boys) has energized the two super escape chickens. They'd done some unauthorized kale and lettuce nibbling. I can tell the difference between them and cabbage looper caterpillar snacking because the hens tear the leaves off in pointy chunks.


The winter weeds are coming on in full force. Just in time for children looking for ways to earn Christmas present money! Terrific. And I pulled some spinach I missed the first time, because of the leaf miners. Ugh.


I'm a little worried about my smallest beehive. The bees might be crowded, because they're very visible from the entrance. No other hives are doing this. If it's crowding, I could add a super on top, but if I do, I'll damage any propolized weatherproofing they've done between the box sides and the top. Decisions, decisions.


I ripped back an entire "box" off of the cardigan, because I thought I'd only done one round of solid color where I needed two. After doing so, I'm not sure that I needed to. Oh well -- more time knitting this lovely project. Thing 3 can purl now, and Thing 2 has learned a k2tog decrease. I'm hoping to get my needles back from her hat soon. I think I'm more excited about her finishing something than she is!

5 comments:

Susan said...

Our bees spilled out all over the doorstep once even though they weren't crowded and didn't swarm. They went back in.

Christmas present money--great idea! I'm going to have some leaf raking done, maybe.

Tamami said...

My lettuce was consumed lately and I'm suspecting the deer. My neighbor's yummy-looking roses just 10 feet away were untouched. Go figure...

Katherine said...

Super escape chickens! Like Chicken Run!

allisonmariecat said...

I'm chuckling over "super escape chickens." Do they have capes? And also, you're like a one-woman CSI: Garden Damage Unit over there!

esperanza said...

What did you decide with the hive? I have the same issue of possible crowding. The girls were hovering alot yesterday but I do not know the consequences of opening the hive so late in the year.

And thank you! for memorable thanksgiving preparations. Sorry I ate your burrito.