Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Remembering to be grateful

My days seem to race by, filled with a mix of minutia and must-dos, with little time taken for reflection and prioritizing. Anyone who saw my garden could attest to that!

I try to be really generous in my thoughts and approach -- seeking to keep focus on the long-term things and realize that, yes, the house needs sweeping but if it doesn't get done perfectly or now, it will still be sweepable tomorrow, but the family member wanting attention probably does need it now.

Friends and family far away in the path of the hurricane, or close by in the sights of devastating disease help me keep my mind on bigger things. Our weather is not at all exciting, except in the memory of how a weekend spent bodysurfing under pure California sun has morphed into seasonally-appropriate gray fog, with rain on the way.

A quick run out to the chickens (who aren't Big Picture important, but can't check their own water) and I noticed this beautiful pepper hiding in the pepper bed. Holding its cool, blocky heft, I remembered to be grateful for all the sunshine that concentrated in its sweetness.

When we eat it on salad tonight I will be grateful, indeed.


6 comments:

kitsapFG said...

Gardens definitely help us to remain grounded - physically and spiritually. Great post.

A.N.N.'s Educational Services said...

Great Post!!!

Lou Murrays Green World said...

Good heavens! That is a pepper? It should be named Gargantua. It is amazing.

Anonymous said...

I conceive feeling to have the accumulation that you are card.does grow taller 4 idiots work

Anonymous said...

What a marvelous pepper you grew and the color of it is gorgeous. -K

cool said...

im gonna try and grow my own fruit and see how tall i can get them lol