Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Beans back; branch still there

Michelle's post about her perennial beans prompted me to take a closer look at the weird sprouts popping up in last year's pole bean area.

Ignore the oxalis; the real stars are those beans. I can't say enough about how much I love these beans, so even a few vines of resprouts are cause for celebration. Plus, I don't have to decide what to put in that spot. I'm struggling enough with a bad case of the Garden Flakes.


And even though the sprouts might pass them, the newly seeded bed is going like a house afire, mostly.

They're climbing the twine and the bamboo, and it's a case of "If you can't be/climb on the one you love, then. . .


Love the one you're with!

And tree news. The neighbor's acacia still hasn't fallen, but the branch is going to die and eventually fall. I guess I have to decide if hiring someone to do it myself is worth it. I don't have a relationship with that neighbor.


The other tree news is that the Katy apricot is dealing with its yearly aphid infestation. Fortunately, I suppose, most of it clusters on the new growth, much of which I spend the summer hacking back so I can walk by the tree. I carefully remove the ladybugs, and if I find evidence of ladybug love, it's easy to relocate:


Those babies are going to feast when they hatch.

My town is hosting a meeting on newly proposed animal/farming ordinances. Looks like more regulation is in the works. I may or may not get to go to the meeting, but tonight I need to write my responses to the proposal. If you want to see how my town compares to others nearby, here's a way to check it out.

4 comments:

Daphne Gould said...

I guess you win some and lose some. I hope the branch doesn't hit anything when it comes down.

Michelle said...

Yay for returning beans! I guess we did somethng right. I'm feeling like a flake in the garden (and elsewhere) too, there's so much to get done and it feels like It's not happening even though it seems like I'm always plugging away. Sisyphus was lucky he wasn't doomed to be a gardener...

What kind of beans are they?

Stefaneener said...

Daphne, I'm still thinking of getting up there and tying a rope to it to send it over the way. . .

Michelle, Sisyphus was a housekeeper, no doubt. They are the kind of beans I'm sending you!

Michelle said...

Oo la la, more beans! Do you need my address? Is there anything that I'm growing that you would like seeds for? Perhaps some of those perennial Gigante beans?