Sunday, July 4, 2010

Gemelli

Twenty-some years ago, my sister and I went wandering in Europe for a few months. In some countries, our appearance elicited more comment than others. We picked up some useful phrases in many languages, including my personal favorite, "Farlo a tua sorella," which we were instructed to use on Italian men in buses who thought that close quarters was license to grope freely.

Another Italian word we got very familiar with, used as a free-standing question, was "Gemelli?" which means "Twins?" Growing up, I focused on the differences between Denise and I, but looking back it's clear that we are closely related.

Does this have any relevance to my garden? Not usually, except that we're both gardening. But when I was checking the pickling cucumbers today, guess what I found:


Gemelli? Si, gemelli.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

But Siamese, rather than Italiano.

Ribbit said...

Very cool! I love garden oddities.

The cucumbers...not you and your sister. ;)

chaiselongue said...

Belli gemelli .... the cucumbers, although I'm sure you and your sister are too. Wish I'd known that useful phrase, in several languages, on buses when I was younger!

Mr. H. said...

They do look like twins, very nice.

kitsapFG said...

I thought this post was going to be about gemelli pasta! LOL! Now I understand the name of the pasta - as it is twin tubes of pasta twisted together. One of my favorites to cook.

So... is it possible to tell us what the phrase actually means that is intended to put gropers in their place? You have my curiosity up!

Stefaneener said...

Suzee, si, molto Siameso.

Ribbit, I'm not sure that Denise and I don't fit the bill also.

chaiselongue, it did come in useful, but we only really needed it in Italy.

Mr. H., they're fused.

kitsapFG, the phrase means "Do it to your sister." Use it at will!

Kristin said...

How delightful. Pickle that sucker and eat it fast!

Jackie said...

Nice! I've never seen a twin cucumber.

Heiko said...

I picked a triple-joined pattypan squash the other day. I should've taken a photo.

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

I love vegetable garden oddities. Your twin cucumbers look almost identical. I learned something too...now I understand why Gemelli pasta has that name!

Cheryl said...

My garden just "gave birth" to a Siamese ear of corn. Gotta be something in the air.

Do you mind if I add your picture to my Freaks of Nature page?