Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Neighborhood Cranky Lady

Well, I admit I'm in a rotten mood already but I just went out front and let loose on the neighborhood boys who congregate on our steps. (Their adults aren't the overparenting type, by the way.)

I am sick and tired of them taking crap from our yard, turning the hose on without asking, dropping candy wrappers in the yard, etc. And when I said, "Look, I want you to stop doing things without ASKING first," they point at each other and say, "He did it, not me!"

I just gave a terrific lecture, titled I Do Not Care Who Did It, Do You Hear Me? I Am Sick And Tired I Do Not Come To Your House And Turn On Your Hose And Borrow Your Toys I Am Speaking To You Individually And Together.

I bet they heard "Blah blah blahblahblahblahblah."

Now I have to work and I'm still cranky. No knitting and drat it all now the baby is awake from her brief nap and the house, despite me going on numerous "pick it up" runs still looks nothing like it did before they all tumbled out of bed.

I want to go to bed.

So I can only surmise that in a few years I will be sitting on my porch, beside my spinning wheel with my cane, yelling at the whippersnappers to stay away from my flower beds.

12 comments:

owl knits said...

One of my dearly held fantasies is to be an old lady sitting on my porch in my rocker, yelling at kids who cut across my yard!

Delana said...

LOL! All I could hear in my head when I read the "blah blah" part was the adult voice from the Peanuts cartoons.

I think I'll wind up one of those cranky neighborhood ladies too :o)

Rain said...

I already am that cranky neighbourhood lady and I'm only 27. Gah! Other people's children! I won't start ranting, I might cause the whole internet to crash by the time I finish.

Hope your day starts to get better.

cpurl17 said...

You know that I'm 92 cats and a ratty bathrobe shy of Full On Crazy Cat Lady status.

YOU KIDS! GET OFF MY LAWN!!

suzee said...

Automatic sprinklers. That's what you need. The kind that send racoons running for cover.

Or you could throw rocks.

Maybe you could teach them to knit...?

Charity said...

Eh, it's probably better to get it all out, anyway. Who knows, maybe they'll stay out of your yard? :0)

meg said...

suzee has the right idea- sprinklers & rocks :P I'm in a cranky mood myself- I'm the one chasing pre-teens out of my tree & picking up the flower heads that have been plucked off by the "adorable" little girls with no discernable parental supervision. Lord- I just love summer in the Valley- NOT!

Amy said...

It's so hard to be the neighborhood gathering house isn't it? We have three or four boys (whose parents could never be accused of overparenting either, which is part of my problem) who ride their bikes all over the neighborhood (one was only four at the time, and allowed to ride in the street) and they often gather at our house. They usually leave after a half hour or so because I make them follow our rules and they don't really like that...

Lori said...

You just gave me the best laugh of the day!

Tamami said...

Try playing opera on boombox, full-blast.

String Bean said...

I have a slingshot I can send to you. :D Have you tried talking to the parents even though it seems like that route would be a lost cause?

allisonmariecat said...

No, not rocks! You need a big stick to chase them off with. Do you have a tatty bathrobe you can wear over your clothes as you patrol?

Maybe motion-activated sprinklers?