Thursday, December 28, 2006

A Whole Year

One year ago today I posted my first blog post. My stated format was to review books and knit, and I've done some of both, although less of the first. I also hoped that by having a forum to discuss my knitting projects, I'd actually get more of them knit.

Did it work?
Sounding something like the 12 Days of Christmas, I present:
One felted bag, one cabled scarf for an exchange, two cotton tank tops, three diaper covers, four different pairs of mittlets, six (1, 2, 3-6) hats, seven different wool, cotton, big and little sweaters, covers for a cell phone and a water bottle, and a funny-shaped brown squirrel.

So, by my rough count, it comes out to about 28 or 29 finished items, some big and self-designed, some small and really messed up, in a twelvemonth. Not bad for someone whose experience of life is that of being chronically behind and constantly ripping out her knitting. Also, not as exciting as Allison's latest finished object, either!

All joking around aside, I made some strides this year in my knitting, and still have many more skills, habits and ideas I'd like to make happen in the future.
I find knitting almost equally frustrating and fascinating (sort of how I feel about the bees, too -- hmmmm, I see a pattern developing here) and that's probably why I work avidly at some times and take some slower times too.

The people I've met through blogging have been even better than finishing sweaters. While this is so often said as to seem trite, when people I've never met before cheer me on when I'm frustrated by a project and celebrate when something works out I realize how powerful a stream I've leapt into, and I'm humbled.

Wishing you and yours a very happy, peaceful, and if it applies to you, yarnily productive new year!

5 comments:

amy/PancakeGoddess said...

7 sweaters! wowee. are you reading the cs thread about reusing special baby things as gift wrap? Maybe that sweet little brown sweater will get to make an annual appearance!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!

You've been an inspiration all along (in knitting as well as blogging). You've made some really amazing knit items!

Charity said...

Happy Blogiversary! It's been wonderful getting to know you.

I was thinking that I hadn't really accomplished much during the last year, but when I took a count, I surprised myself. Funny, eh?

Rain said...

Happy bloggiversary! It's been wonderful reading your blog and getting to know you. I love hearing about the Things and their exploits. It's certainly been a productive year, I don't know how you manage to fit it all in.

Happy New Year! I hope it's a good one.

allisonmariecat said...

Happy blogiversary! I've enjoyed reading you this year!