Sunday, December 3, 2006

Half way there

Remember that easy lace in the beautiful Schaeffer yarn? The lace I put away in a fit of pique because I kept messing it up and having to rip back? Well, after realizing how many ends I have left to go in the fishy sweater (sorry, Brittany, not done yet), spending some time like this seemed like a much better idea.

Got the dignified and calm cat, the cocoa, mittlets, wool sweater, tired eyes, a down comforter, lace to knit and what's this on television? Why, cute cowboys!


So anyhow, bull riding notwithstanding, the first skein of yarn is all used up. The wrap is about this big right now.


A better-color closeup:


The only thing keeping me from launching right into the next ball of yarn is that it's my only remaining ball of yarn. I think that to make it a wrap that seems proportional, I'll have to make it about half again as high. That will use up approximately half of the ball of yarn (Hey, I majored in English, okay?). Then I have to figure out some sort of neat edging that will a) look great, b) keep it from curling -- although the weight of the cotton will help with that -- and c) use up just about half a ball of yarn.

I've considered a simple attached i-cord, some kind of knitted on triangle pointy out edging, and a five-row garter stitch picot bind-off. Any ideas?

11 comments:

bfmomma said...

Oooh, it's so beautiful! your lacework amazes me...

So do the knucks keep your hands warm while knitting?

Lori said...

Beautiful lacework and pretty yarn! I don't have any ideas for the edging, since I'm a lace novice.

Elspeth said...

Gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful.

Charity said...

No exciting ideas, but lots of admiration. I love how this is looking! :0)

Anonymous said...

I vote for the i-cord bind-off. Simple, but effective. The lace is looking good! I'm jealous of your cabinny holiday...

allisonmariecat said...

What a cozy knitting set-up! I love the shawl, but can't help with the edging...not my strong point.

Rain said...

Ha ha - I get a 45 pound puppy trying to sit on my knee when I knit. You both look so cosy.

The wrap is stunning so far. I like the idea of the I-cord edging.

Brittany said...

The lace is pretty! What about a garter stitch edging?

Alisha said...

That is so so beautiful!!!

turtlegirl76 said...

That yarn is so pretty! A simple crochet border would probably be just fine. Let the body of the wrap be the star!