Thursday, January 24, 2008

Be glad there are no pictures

People joke about being flighty, or absent-minded, or whatever. I don't tend to. If I forget things, it's because I'm well and truly overwhelmed with responsibilities, or something.

Which brings me to the fruit flies.

For the past. . .month, maybe? I'd get in my van, say a little prayer of thanks for it (I still love it very much) and set off on my way. Then I'd notice a fruit fly. Just one, usually. It would hover in front of me, and eventually at a stop or something, I'd squish it against the windshield and that was that.

Then it dawned on me -- when I have fruit flies in the house, they're coming from somewhere. So I fuss at the children, insisting that one of them must have left an apple or something in the car and you know you're not allowed to eat in it, blah blah blah. Protestations of innocence all around.

One day, Thing 1 said, "I bet it's the refrigerator." These van conversions have a little under-seat refrigerator, just big enough to hold a weekend camping trip's dairy, or some such. When I heard her, I just stared.

The last camping trip was in October.

Last week, I pulled the refrigerator out of the car and opened it up. Since October, a half jug of orange juice and something in a storage container had been merrily riding along with us, a haven for a colony of fruit flies.

I've thrown the big stuff away, but haven't yet steeled myself to wash and bleach the rest. I hope the liquid sloshing around didn't break the fan and cooling unit.

At least there haven't been any more fruit flies.

13 comments:

Lara said...

Ewwwww. I'm having flashbacks to a cooler left neglected for too long after a party. I was ready to just throw it out, but the hubby bleached the heck out of it. That cooler still creeps me out, 7 years later.

Kate said...

Yick.

This is why I got married. My husband is much less skeeved out by these things than I am.

bfmomma said...

omg... I have TOTALLY been there. (ok, not with a fridge, but....)

Charity said...

Oh, groan. At least you figured it out - imagine if it waited until your next camping trip! :0)

Morenna said...

It's a science experiment! Well, at least the food sources were in containers and didn't ooze out onto the carpet. Hope it wasn't too shtinky!

turtlegirl76 said...

Oh ew. Oh wow. Ugh. Who designs a refrigerator to go under the seat? Of course you're going to forget about it!

suzee said...

Thing FOUR? Seriously?

Girl's a genius.

I love the part where you vaguely wave at the fruit flies without wondering where they're coming from. It's like me when the sewer lat backs up (for the zillionth time) and I think (for the zillionth time), for several days, "huh...smells a bit...gee, wonder what's on TV..."

Stefaneener said...

Thank you, no, I'm vaguer than I knew. Thing 1!!!! not the baby, although she probably did know. . .

amanda j said...

That thing must have a good seal on it! Yucky!

Tamami said...

Well, if it's any consolation, I do that with my "real" refrigerator on a regular basis. Now no one will speak to me.

NeedleDancer said...

I love it!
I'd have vaguely waved at a lone fruit fly too. One is clearly just lost.
After about the third one, I'd have checked for apple cores.... accused the kids of food.... just like you.

Of course, I don't have a wee fridge in the car (what a boon that would be on our annual trek Eastward!!)

And how wonderful that the seal kept the smell all inside. How did the dang fruit flies get OUT?

NeedleDancer said...

You've been nominated!
Cause you make my day...
details on the blog
(http://shadowdancer.typepad.com/blog)

allisonmariecat said...

Oh, ew! I'm glad you figured it out. And also impressed that you cleaned it out and didn't just ditch the van and get a new one :)