Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Tangled Up


An unprepossessing mess, no?

It's what is passing for my knitting project these days. Having misplaced my almost-done project and the project bag it was in, my knitting mojo took an enormous hit.

It's metastasizing all over. I can't seem to get anything done. Drafts of writing due, essays to edit, gardening projects (heloooooo, mulch), nothing. I've got nothing.

So, I figured instead of launching into my next big colorwork sweater project, which would involve, oh, designing a sweater, I'd find some sort of mindless make-a-sweater-without-thought project. This bag of vintage yarn, given to me by Sainted Betty, my Knoxville knitting teacher, has come along and seemed appropriate.

Alas, it's a mess of mild tangles. Technically, I don't even think it's tangled. It's just that yarn has stored energy and if it's allowed to twist, in, oh, I don't know, multiple moves from state to state, it needs undoing.

So when I can't engage my brain enough to do anything, make anything, finish anything, and I've done the housework and the kid wrangling and carpool driving and dinner making and dinner cleanup, well, working on these twists and turns feels as though I'm accomplishing something.

It's not going to get Christmas sorted here, though. Bleah.

1 comment:

kristin said...

Nice color. Knitting is supposed to be meditative. Perhaps undoing knots is as well. Can't wait to see how that yarn will be transformed from a twisted bundle into a wearable item.