Sunday, May 11, 2008

Seduced and Lost

I was planning to have Cobblestone finished by today, but got seduced by the idea of doing two sleeves at one time, like socks in the round? Well, as with many of the things I try, there's a fairly steep learning curve, and I keep trying to start and restart. At any rate, no sleeves yet.

Then, I got utterly seduced away from sleeves by these, from Clara Parkes' The Knitter's Book of Yarn.



I bought the yarn in two different colorways to make them and actually cast on and made the first little welt out of the magenta/orange/red pair. Doing that kind of fiddly knitting (make 8 rows, pick up the purl bumps from the fist one, knit two together, top and bottom, all the way around) on size 0 needles made me happy in some "brain scratch" way I can't exactly explain.

The third color in that pair doesn't work, though, so we packed everyone up to return the red to my friend's yarn store.

Except we forgot the red yarn. Whoops!

Nice trip, no help. In the mean time, I've decided to rework the colorway, to magenta/orange/yellow, with the yellow as the accent color -- and I have the yarn in my stash to do it with.

And the mitten bag, with the dpns and the welts and the yarn I bought, is. . . lost.

I'm sure it's here somewhere. But a thorough clean of the yarn room yielded nothing, and I don't think it's in the car. It will turn up sometime, I'm sure, and while I'd rather be doing it than knitting sleeves, that's what I'll be working at soon.

Happy Mother's Day to all who celebrate. I already got beautiful presents and kisses and it's also my wedding anniversary -- a double day of good things for us.

7 comments:

Charity said...

Happy Mother's Day, and Happy Anniversary, too! Glad to hear you were treated so well.

Groan! Losing the mitten bag is totally something that happens to me, too. I'm sure it will turn up, but it's still infuriating. :0)

Tammy said...

Forgetting the yarn is so something I would do! I love those mittens... can't wait to see how yours come along.

allisonmariecat said...

Happy Mother's Day, and Happy Anniversary!!!

No doubt the yarn is hiding, knowing that you have sleeves to work on. It will turn up once you've finished them!

Sam Carrara said...

Congrats on your Anniversary.

We just celebrated our 10th Anniversary.

suzee said...

Happy to both events.

Cute mittens!

We missed S, hope she is better...

amanda j said...

What gorgeous mittens. I hope you find the bag soon.

Happy Anniversary and Mother's Day. Don't you wonder where the years go?

String Bean said...

Happy Belated Mother's Day!

I love those mittens. Can't wait to see your progress.