Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Does it count if the knitting came for the ride?

The weather's been the kind to make kids kind of crazy -- sunny and pretty, but with a chilly wind. Mine were, at least, a bit edgy, so I took a page from Kristin's blog and announced that we were going wildflower hunting today. Believe it or not, there was whining. I ignored it and loaded them and a spare in the car. Big sister had a science project with friends today, so she "got" to opt out of this hike.

I had the foresight to bring along a CD player so we listened, mostly, to more of A Hat Full of Sky, by our beloved Terry Pratchett on the drive. Maybe it was all those Feagles running around head-butting things, but the boys immediately found sticks and did not put them down for the entire hike.



They enjoyed nature by bounding around in it (and falling into it, in the case of the creek, but fortunately that was late in the day), and I realized that they weren't able to slow down yet to appreciate the flowers. So I took pictures and they can identify them later. I'll tell them that there are a lot of lupines!



We did manage one quiet look at a little bird, either a flicker or a woodpecker, peeking out of a hole in a dead tree, but then they were off again, running as though pursued. Or pursuing.



The Kauni cardigan came with us in the car. I thought we might get to sit long enough in one place so the front band might be finished. I thought wrong.


So mostly I just carried the food and water and camera and was bemused.



Not a bad way to spend half a day, even if I haven't finished that band yet.

6 comments:

Susan said...

Looks like a beautiful hike. I love it--not one but two sticks! One for each hand. What does a kid really need but a stick and space to wield it in?

Heather Madrone said...

The flower in the foreground of the second photo looks like blue-eyed grass -- Sysirinchium bellum (and whoa, after almost 30 years, I managed to spell Sysirinchium right on the first try).

I've got an extra boy coming over for the day today -- should be fun.

turtlegirl76 said...

Great pics! It looks like a great day!

Kristin said...

Where were you? It doesn't matter, it looks great, green and flowery. Also, you are incredibly photogenic. Proof: the photo of you in this post.

allisonmariecat said...

So much loveliness!

Heh, taking your knitting on a field trip totally counts.

patricia said...

I'm catching up on blogs after being away. How fabulous that Kristin's blog actually inspired you to get out and hike--as opposed to wishing you could get out and hike, which is what I tend to do.

Like Susan I was impressed with the sticks-in-two-hands shot. Why have just one stick, when you can have TWO!