Monday, June 8, 2009

Everything but the kitchen sink update

We were out of town this weekend, and while I was away, I was wondering what the garden was doing in my absence. It took me about an hour after I got home to get outside, just for a "hello" walk around. However, it took two days to finish the laundry.

After it was all done today, I grabbed a camera and my youngest and we headed out, so I'm going to do a "wander through the yards with the camera" kind of picture-heavy update. Thanks in advance for your patience!


The helper herownself, with the inadvertently-pole beans she planted a few weeks ago. Oh well. She's the only one so far who keeps wanting to plant things and keep up with them. Her little bed is getting very full.


Mostly-tomatillos, with some sunflower accents, this bed is doing very well. The two on the left were transplanted the day before we left. I jury-rigged a support by bending a long piece of 6x6 mesh in half. So far, so good.


The purple tomatillo is way ahead of everything else.


These are Sungolds.


And a Principe Borghese peeking out.


The Haricot Vert beans came up in four days.


Scarlet Runners are way ahead of all the other beans, and so very pretty.


They are, however, over their supports. While I had contemplated lashing an extension on the poles, the top of the string is the top of my reach, so either my neighbor is going to get to pick these or they'll hang back down. I really thought I had them at six feet -- apparently it's ten or so.


Three sisters doing pretty well. I haven't grown corn here before, so we'll see. I may have to do some raccoon-proofing. And the squash (Lakota, I think) is leaping around so much that the beans may get shoved aside.


First little peppers. I think these might be chili piquin.


This indigo is about ready for its first cutting (right above the jointed nodes). When the yarn for dyeing shows up, I'm going to set up a little dye studio and see what I can get.


Yellow Finns are really and truly (okay, eleven of twelve of them are) up. I hope by next week to have to put more soil around them. This is the most fun experiment I've done in a while.


And I have to remember to cut some examples of the apple trees and take them to the nursery. I don't think this is fire blight, but something is killing my apples, twig down. Since these are espaliered, there isn't much there to lose without losing the entire tree. Eeep.


Out front, the first pumpkin. Last year the front yard pumpkins were show-stoppers. I hope to repeat that this year, with different varieties. This might be a blue one. I have GOT to find my copper plant tags, since both my brain and my garden journal appear to be missing.



Too late for Garden Death Day, but the Charentais melon kicked the bucket in my absence. It was only one leaf, but still . . .


All is not serious around the Sicilian Sisters. We take good time for garden silliness.


Yellow crookneck and parseley, out front. The leaves are a bit spiky compared to the almost-downy feeling butternuts near them.


This is the reason I want to live to be a hearty old woman. It will take me that long to pull every last bit of Bermuda grass out of my yards. Bad weed! Bad weed! I muse longingly about Roundup in a squirt bottle when I'm out front.


Another thing I have got to get together is a low-pressure gravity watering system. Even with my helper, it took about an hour today to hose water everything from the rain bins. And I worry that it's not going as deeply as of course a drip system would. Hopefully before next summer!


These are the 275 gallon totes I was using today. The one on the other side of the house is 2/3 empty after a long soaking of each tree and vine out back.


The Purple Royalty rasperries, put in this spring, are going to have at least a tiny harvest. Yum! I can't wait until the whole wall o'berries fills in. With the butternut squashes near them and around the persimmon tree, it's going to be quite a sight.


Caterina was wielding the camera today, and these rasperries out back (terribly infested with weeds -- I'll clear them out after pruning) in front of the beehives are one of her favorite garden destinations. They're very carefully checked every day.


Her rocking horse is another. You can see the former lawn future garden bed space well in this picture.


The bee fountain is just past the pepper behind the volunteer bachelor's buttons. I'm keeping it topped off, and they visit a lot.

Laura, over at the Modern Victory Garden, made a point that it's time to start thinking about putting seeds in for winter's crops. That's true, and it also gives gardeners like me something to do instead of obsessively wandering around our happily growing summer gardens. So maybe I'll get to at least thinking about that while I'm watering these days.

7 comments:

Cheryl said...

I enjoyed the tour. You're so far ahead of me. Our weather just won't stay warm enough for things to take off.

Annie*s Granny said...

I am just loving all the garden photos the bloggers have been posting recently! It was such a long winter, and I hungered for the green. It's exciting to see the growth over the past month.

Like you, I am waiting for the day my new raspberries fill out their bed, and looking forward to the small harvest they will give me this year.

I must plant some bachelor buttons. They were my favorite flower when I was a child....many, many, many years ago ;-)

I wish I had a small child in (under) a pot in my garden. Precious!

Stefaneener said...

Cheryl, there are many people ahead of me! It's so location-specific, and I know many folks who just planted earlier (or water more consistently). Warm weather has to come, right?

Annie's Granny, those bachelor buttons are the kind of flower that keep on giving! And I agree, the pot is a perfect touch. She's very funny.

kitsapFG said...

Well that certainly was a fun cyber garden tour! I am jealous of your super sized water collection containers. I only have a couple of 55 gallon barrels and during the dry season (which is not long for us) I drain them out fast just doing the container plantings.

Stefaneener said...

kitsap, they are a total find! I have a line on one for much less than I got these from.

I'm still using the bathwater, too, and that helps.

Luz Calvo said...

Amazing garden photos! You've packed so many different fruits and vegetables into your garden—you are expanding my ideas about what is possible.

And, three cheers for silliness. :)

Kale for Sale said...

The purple tomatillas I have in pots are going wild too. Last year I had regular green ones and they were spindly until nearly the end of the fall when they humbled me with handfulls of fruit. I planted a couple more green ones too in appreciation. What a terrific garden. Thanks for the tour.