Saturday, June 20, 2009

Inspiration

As my gardening urges have increased, so has my garden greed. I don't want "a" garden, I want a bigger garden! I want it all garden, bwaa haa haa. (I'm just east of cackling, not something you want to do if you're already starting to look like the Sicilian crone you hope devoutly one day to be.)

But I also don't want an unattractive layout, hardscape-wise. Since my tastes run to the extremely rectilinear, I worried that any garden plan I'd do would look like a garden at a prison or military installation. Fancy, curvy, and "designed" seemed like such a better idea. But it's also less "me" than straight.

Friday, the eldest and youngest child and I had a day out together. We managed to sweet-talk our way into a closed city garden with promises of weeding. I did weed (perversely happy to see Bermuda grass invading their heavily-tended garden plots too) and spent a pleased half hour wandering around and looking at vegetables and herbs.

Then it happened. I stumbled across a design that seemed like it would work in my yard, with my aesthetic, and perhaps most importantly, with reclaimed materials from our deck.

I can hardly wait to try this at home:


Click to make bigger -- and can't you just see a string of lights along the peak? I'm having almost as much fun imagining this as I assume I will have making it.

11 comments:

Tatiana said...

Hi found you on Blotanical - aren't you worried about using treated wood (I assume) from your deck? Isn't is supposed to be dangerous?

Otherwise I'm just jealous of your harvest to date and prowess with plants :)

Toni said...

Hi Stephaneer, it's Toni in Wyoming.

I love that design!!! Go for it!

Thanks for sharing it... I feel inspired too!

Heather said...

Great idea- and I wouldn't worry about strait lines, you are the one that has to love being there. No one else. Guess i am kind of selfish that way! Good luck and keep us posted!

Jeff Vandiver said...

Dang....that's pretty impressive! I really like how the entire walkway is nothing but trellis. You've gotta build one!

Jackie said...

That really is a great design. It's so hard to take the plunge...but you'll be so proud when it's complete! Right now I'm dealing with a much smaller backyard and trying to work out the design details. Good luck! -Jackie

kitsapFG said...

That is an awesome set up and would be really fun to try and replicate.

Don't you just love visiting other veggie gardens?

Luz Calvo said...

I love the whimsy of this arbor...and perhaps that is what you were really looking for?

Helen said...

Go with what you love -- the rest will follow.

Stefaneener said...

Tatiana, hey, it's redwood, so I'm not too worried. I don't use pressure-treated wood near food. Don't be jealous of anything except the fact that I have room to garden -- that's the lucky part; we're all doing the best we can.
Toni, thanks. I love it and love the feeling of anticipation. Heather, I like your attitude! Dan, if you like it it must be a winner of a design! Jackie, I don't know about you, but I veer between trying to get it "right" and thinking it's all a work in progress. kitsapFG, I am so looking forward to trying -- I love the design. (I might visit it at least one more time before trying it though.) Malucho, I think you have the key. I want something that says "not completely utilitarian," and that's what speaks to me (while honoring my linear nature, of course). Helen, welcome! thanks -- the garden makes me very happy and this planned expansion adds to that, of course.

patricia said...

Oh, that's gorgeous. When you told me in that email about your sweater that you'd found garden-plan inspiration, I thought you meant that the sweater was the inspiration. It does sort of look like lots of colorful garden beds, if you think about it.

Just Jenn said...

Oooo! Twinkly lights and (I see) grapes! That's gonna be fantastic!